I decided that my Major Noodlehead could use some additional muscle conditioning, so I bought a used mountain bike. I already take him out daily to an off-leash area, where he gets lots of free-range exercise. But with a bike, I planned on getting in an extra mile or two at a controlled trot, which should improve his gaiting in the show ring.

You know what they say about "remembering" how to ride a bike? HA!!! Well, I fell off the darn thing TWICE during my first 15-minutes. The first time was trying to get my feet into the little stirrups, and the last time was when I stopped and forgot to remove my feet from the stirrups. The stirrups are now in little pieces in my garbage can. It will take a while for the scrapes and bruises to heal, however. Good thing my left elbow and arm scars had healed well from last fall when my guys bolted, pulled me over onto my face, and proceeded to drag me down our main street sidewalk in their enthusiasm to greet Berner friends down the street. I'm getting too old for all these dog-related injuries!

I spent Sunday afternoon attaching a "springer" to the bike so I could safely attach Major to the bike. In two short outings, it went very well -- he's learning the term "ride" to mean "trot nicely" next to the bike. We also incorporated some of our draft commands to "go right," "go left," "slow," and "stop." The only problem was as we returned home last night. The springer and dog are positioned on the RIGHT side of my bicycle; as we steered "left" into the driveway, Major somehow leaped around to the LEFT side of the bike. It wasn't enough to cause me to lose control or fall, but it sure surprised me! I immediately stopped and had a struggle to get him back on the right side.

Does anyone else use a springer with your dog and bike? Any experience with the dog getting on the wrong side? What can happen? Can you just continue riding and the dog will go back on the correct side, or must I immediately stop and reposition him?

Vicky Whitney in Bozeman, Montana