forwarded in plain text for Vilma:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> German Shepherd that had been trained on a prong collar. The owner had been told
> this was the way to go but I think he was very inexperienced and the dog had
> suffered quite a lot. A great deal of patience and love used to try and get him
> right again.

Poor dog! But I would say this has to do w/ the trainer, not the training tool. One
can also be quite abusive to a dog w/ your voice and/or hands....that doesn't mean
that voice and hands are bad tools, just incorrectly used tools. The worst cases of
"down" dogs I have seen have been those trained (jerked around) w/ a choke collar by
someone who thought he/she knew what he/she was doing. Damage to the trachea is also a
big concern w/ choke collars.

Also, we can agree to disagree. We can politely discusss the merits and drawbacks of
training methods.  Ex: While I personally don't like or recommend choke collars or
invisible fences/electronic collars for training, it doesn't mean there aren't some
people/dogs who do fine w/ them. And sometimes my personal preferences (clicker
training and a buckle collar, head halter or pinch collar - in that order) aren't
always the right choice either. The DOG will tell you. Listen to him -- watch his
ears, tail, body language.

To be a really good dog trainer, you want to have lots of "tools in your tool chest"
as one well known trainer told me....then you have many options for each individual
handler/dog combo.

Vilma Briggs (Kistner)
Mt. Gilead, OH
U-UD Mocha Java Slurp, UDX, HIC, TT
Ch. Brighteye Expresso Bean, UD, NDD, TT
U-CDX Our Little Buddy, UD, NA, TT
Thirdtym's A Charm, CD
Hob Nob Clouds In My Coffee (puppy "Perc")
and foster Bernerboy: Brew/Bruin (Pat Long's dog 2B)
Check any e-mail over the Web for free at MailBreeze (http://www.mailbreeze.com)