I think you handled that sticky situation really well, Alison! Well done!
Isn't it confusing, scary and awful when your beloved fur-bundle suddenly
decides to challenge you? The good side to this undoubtedly upsetting
episode is that she is still so young and you are now prepared. Her growly
days are numbered!

Eileen's post summarized all known recommendations for tackling
possessiveness brilliantly and it's VERY sound advice. Please don't
disregard it.

The only part where I would differ with, or rather add to, Eileen's post is
that I would give feedback to my dogs about their action in this
circumstance. I am completely besotted with my dogs but they aren't allowed
to growl at me  - never mind how much they value whatever coveted possession
they might have in their jaws. I WOULD have reprimanded my dog for growling
at me and my voice would have left her in doubt that mom is NOT in the least
pleased with what she just did.

If you don't give your puppy feedback, how would she even know that growling
wasn't an okay thing to do? After all it's perfect dog-to-dog communication.
It means "Mine! Buzz off!" Clear and simple.

Personally, I am none too thrilled if my dogs would tell me to "Buzz off".
How rude is that! As much as I love them, we ain't equal in status by a
loooooooong way. ( as Pat Long puts it in regards to the berner-l : it is a
very benevolent dictatorship. Same with my dogs.) I reserve the right to say
who is allowed to have what and when, not vice versa. And I will NOT  stand
for being growled at. My now 5 year old Berner growled at me ONCE when he
was only a few months old in a virtually identical situation. His ears went
back "Grrrrrrrrrrr" he went, trying out his newfound growling abilities. It
was rather impressive! "Don't you DARE growl at me!" I replied. Loud,
disapproving and low. I meant it and I would have absolutely stood my
ground. But then he was younger then Chelsea and I wasn't scared off him. I
was merely most indignant & miffed! But it gave me a chance to think about
how to best handle another growly episode ( there was never another one, I
really DO sound ferocious when I'm miffed!).

This is what I did to combat bone possessiveness: I immediately set out to
lower the attraction of it. How? By literally swamping the garden with them.
When my boy was happily chewing on a new marrow bone, along I came with an
even yummier, newer one. "Drop, please", he drops, " Thank you, what a good
boy, now have this one". Next day, ditto. And the day after that. After a
few days a new bone isn't the "wow" experience nor possession it was before.
And you just build on and practice swapping from there. Practice, practice,
practice. Every day. With toys and food and anything your dog fancies. I
would second Eileen's advice, start practicing with things that Chelsea
isn't feeling too particular about ( maybe a less favoured toy?) and work
from there. That and start flirting with your butcher! Good knuckle bones
are hard to get hold off. Practicing giving a powerful "drop it!"command
alone in front of the mirror won't hurt either. Mean it, don't just ask
meekly . You ARE the leader and you MUST be obeyed. Period.

Also, please be consistent with your command. Don't tell her to "drop!" at
one occasion, then to "give!", then to "leave it!" or whatever. One command
per action only.  The last thing to remember is that is IS a COMMAND. I may
sweetly tell my dogs to "give, please" or say "excuse me" when I want them
to shift out of my way. But these aren't polite requests. They are
commands - given politely! Big, BIG difference. I absolutely expect my dogs
to obey them. They know it. And I know it.

And young Miss Chelsea will, too. You'll see!

All the very best
Michaela, Harvey & Rupert
Devon/UK

PS Just to clarify what I meant about the swapping practice: please don't go
overboard and irritate and annoy your dog when practicing. Don't ask her to
swap something she absolutely loves ( and something you gave to her!) every
30 seconds. Let her enjoy it for a reasonable amount of time. One of my
friends had a new  pup a while back and she took the swapping thing far too
literally. As soon as the puppy started munching away she asked her to give
it up. Over and over and over again. After 10 minutes of this I told her
that I would have bitten her by now - never mind growled. So, please, be
consistent, be firm, but also be considerate and reasonable.