Hi Laura.  The symptoms sound like Lyme Disease.  Our Charisma experienced
the same upset stomach and lameness last summer.

David Sandler and Charisma

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, September 06, 2003 4:53 PM
To: Berner-l; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: baka: no blockages but still having hind end problems

i'm greatly relived to know baka's diarrhea problem was unrelated to the
hind end weakness and pain. baka's been blood tested (came back perfect
except showing some dehydration), xrayed (intestine walls & stomach
looks 100% normal now), examined by hand multiple times (nothing gets a
negative reaction, she just grins & wags), and ultrasounded (nothing out
of the ordinary).

last night baka ate several small bland meals (she was ravenous), peed
fine, no vomiting, no nausea, no dry heaves nor grass eating. baka even
pooped last night, the first half was a little soft & full of grass, but
the second half looked perfectly normal & formed. the digestion problem
should be cleared up completely by tomorrow night i think & the vet is
very confident there is not a blockage.

unfortunately that leaves us without an explanation for baka's inability
to stand up the other day. baka is standing up on her own as of
yesterday and she'll walk from spot to spot when she's in the mood, but
she's still arching her back & walking strangely with her hind legs.
baka's also still slow to rise and slow to lay down, as if she were
stiff or sore (like she used to before her hip surgery a couple years
ago). our vet didn't feel or see anything obviously wrong, so we're a
little confused. and we don't want to put any pain killer in her system
until we're certain the diarrhea is completely resolved (she lost 6 lbs!
in just those 4-5 days).

i'm thinking of taking baka to see the chiropractor vet who is 30
minutes away. my thinking is that maybe her hands are more sensitive &
could feel something being off that our regular vet might miss? either
way, my vet is expecting my call monday to see how baka did over the
weekend & decide what to do next. i'm trying not to worry, but this is
certainly confusing. i don't like seeing my baby hurt & not know ho to
fix it (and baka *so* unhappy now that the weather's cooled off & i
won't let her go to the dog park, every time we walk past the car she
whines at it).

thank you to everyone who's emailed their support & advice.

laura & baka
chapel hill