Forwarded for Amy Kessler:

A few weeks ago, I, on behalf of BARC, asked you to help us rescue a puppy
in need (her name is Xena). Unfortunately, illness, a trip to the hospital
and the sobig computer virus put me and my computer out-of-commission for a
time. I am just now able to get back to you.

When BARC (through my e-mail message to you) asked for help I told you that
we would provide more detail when the pup was safe.  She is now safe with
BARC in Kansas and we are in the process of preparing her to go to her
forever home.

This rescue situation came about when a breeder in Germany sold a puppy as a
pet. The puppy's buyer (who also lives in Germany) represented himself to
the breeder as a person looking for a family pet.  In fact, he is a dog
broker, who, with a family member in the U.S. (also a dog broker),
sells/brokers dogs here in the States. A BMDCA member discovered the puppy's
situation through contacts she had made while monitoring imported dogs that
were being offered for sale. She made contact with an individual in the
Swiss club and together with a couple of other people, they asked BARC for
assistance in rescuing the puppy and finding her a loving home.

Thanks to your responsiveness and generous donations, BARC was able to
purchase this puppy and also pay for her vet and other expenses (e.g., air
transportation). We are happy to report that Xena will be going to a new
home as soon as she recovers from her spay.

The generosity of the people involved with this breed is overwhelming and
BARC is honored to have you as supporters.  There are no words in the
English language that fully express our gratitude to all of you who offered
and continue to offer help when we need it.

In case there is any confusion, BARC's process for placing this puppy is the
same procedure applied to all BARC puppy placements. Her health and
temperament are evaluated. We use this information to ensure the best
possible match between her needs and what a prospective adoptive home can
offer. As with all BARC puppies, a sterilization surgery is scheduled and
performed (in Xena's case, a spay surgery).  Current BARC puppy adoption
applications are being reviewed and, using the same standards applied to
other BARC puppy placements, she will be placed soon in a forever home.

The only difference between this puppy and our normal auction/kennel
liquidation rescues is that BARC was asked by an individual in a foreign
parent club to help and we did. Because this puppy was born within a
governing parent club, she was evaluated by their litter inspectors, as are
all puppies registered within their club.  This particular puppy and her
littermates received a high rating in litter quality and because of that, a
comment was made (NOT by people within BARC), that it is a shame that she
would be spayed and would BARC consider leaving her intact and placing her
in a home with a well-respected breeder.

Because of the novelty of this situation and out of respect for the source
of one such comment, BARC's board discussed this particular puppy's
situation at an annual face-to-face board meeting in Des Moines, Iowa on
September 6th. The BARC board was unanimous in it's view that this puppy
should NOT be treated differently than any other BARC rescue. True, she was
not from a scumbag puppy miller or an auction, but she IS BARC's forever
responsibility and, as a BARC rescue, she would be spayed and placed in a
home as a companion animal.

I hope this somewhat belated e-mail provides our supporters with an update
on little Xena's status and clears up any misinformation that some of you
may have received. In the future, if anyone ever has a question about BARC
or concern about the processes used by BARC in placing our rescues, please
feel free to contact BARC directly. BARC's telephone number is 913-837-3129
or my home number is 913-837-4635. We will be happy to answer any questions
you may have.

Again, a huge "thank you" to those of you who helped make it possible for us
to create a happy life for little Xena (as contrasted to one ended too soon
from spending it in a dirty cage as an uncaring miller's brood bitch). We
know that none of what BARC does could be done with out your big-hearted and
generous support.

On behalf of BARC,

Amy Kessler
BARC President