From: bes-admins-boun...@dataoutages.com
[mailto:bes-admins-boun...@dataoutages.com] On Behalf Of Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee
Sent: 01 December 2011 23:07
To: A list for BES Admin's to discuss issues, etc.
Subject: Re: [Bes-admins] CarrierIQ

Hi,
On 1 December 2011 17:21, Art Alexion <a...@rhd.org<mailto:a...@rhd.org>> wrote:
Sorry for cross-posting, but the issue affects Androids and is reputed to
affect BlackBerries.  I have confirmed it on Sprint and AT&T, and have
confirmed that it doesn't affect T-Mobile.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/11/secret-software-logging-video/

Can anyone confirm whether or not BlackBerries are affected?

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Java-Development/Does-CarrierIQ-run-on-BlackBerry-devices/m-p/1421009
'Research In Motion does not install, nor authorize, its carrier partners to
install "Carrier IQ" monitoring software on its BlackBerry smartphones'

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/technology/mobile-technology/no-carrier-iq-tracking-software-on-blackberry-rim-says/article2256820/
Bell, Telus, and Rogers in Canada have all confirmed that they do not use,
install, or deploy CIQ on ANY of their devices or networks.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/1/2602313/google-nexus-android-phones-and-original-xoom-tablet-do-not-include
The official Google Nexus/Motorola Xoom firmware/software does not use nor come
pre-installed with the software.

I could link to many more news postings or forums posting where this was
discussed in detail today.  I believe VZW has stated that they do not use CIQ
either.

This software for all intents and purposes is only put on devices where the
carrier has modified the software or requested the manufacturer to modify it
for them.

This isn't to say that CarrierIQ didn't make an application for BlackBerry.
The site is down right now, but it was up earlier in the day:
http://ota.carrieriq.com/rim

A quick and dirty look at it:
http://forums.crackberry.com/general-discussion-f2/carrier-iq-spyware-blackberrys-too-674331/index3.html#post6898345

So even if it is installed on a BlackBerry, it's really easy to see by going
into your Application Management on the device and looking for anything named
IQAgent or taking a look at the installed modules on a BES.  But this seems
VERY carrier specific at the moment and was blown way out of proportion
especially considering this has been "news" for several weeks now in the
Android world.

Trevor Eckhart had said that it affects BlackBerry but never backed it up and
every single news site, blog, and media ran with it, self-referencing each
other to oblivion without actually doing any fact checking.  I still haven't
heard of anyone actually finding this software installed on their device,
although I admit I haven't been keeping up with the news in the past few hours
as I did actually have to get work done in the afternoon once I realized this
doesn't affect me or our corporate BES & Carrier.

It's also debated the application even transmits information unless the device
is put into debugging mode on either Android or iOS.  Not to say that it
couldn't or hasn't.
--
Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee  ( highos at highos dot com )

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure
Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership
with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) In case of problems,
please call your organisation's IT Helpdesk.
Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.

Food Standards Agency (FSA)

For the latest food news and information visit  www.food.gov.uk

This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only.
Unauthorised use, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted.  If you have
received this email in error, please destroy all copies and inform the sender
immediately by return email.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure
Intranet (GSI) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by Cable & Wireless
Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs and on leaving the GSI this email was
certified virus-free.  However you should always use your own virus-scanning
software to ensure mail and attachments are safe to open.

Communications on the FSA's computer systems may be monitored and/or recorded
to secure effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes.