On 5/31/06, Eric Iverson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I think it is a good thing that we provide the J IDE in addtion to the old
tried and true tools.

Certainly:) However i too have been limiting my use of it. Primarily
for one reason: When J crashes it takes the ijs windows with it:( If i
use another editor then i can use its autobackup and, in any case, be
independent of J's stability.

i would like to figure out how to get TextPad's IDE capability to mesh
with J's ... if anyone has explored that particular route. Or maybe
someday i should beak down and learn eMacs. i have used TextPad for
years so it is comfortable to me, but i am sure there are alternatives
which are also easy to switch to and may be even more easily meshable
with J.

Perhaps if the J windows had a more robust autobackup mechanism of
some kind that could be switched on... Along with an easier mechanism
to access recently used directories in the file finders. i don't know
what the best extension is, i just know it is pretty rickety to put
ones thoughts on papers which are so hard to secure. Maybe when i
figure out how to hack the system files, and stick my user directory
in place of the TEMP defaults etc i can use the save key more
freely/frequently: this mostly applies to the ijx window.

But the main desired improvement, for me, would be to insulate J's IDE
from the runtime environment.

The ijs editor is quirky/different, but hey the source is open, so it
can be hacked. i would like to use it, if it were secure.

~greg