Brian,

I will clean up the itunes instructions based on your comments. Thanks.

a OR b depending on the direction of the move

itunes is a bit brain dead and is limited to seeing only files at the
bottom level (same level as the J folder).

If you drag a file from you desktop and drop it in the itunes area it will
be at that bottom level. Run J on your device and dir'' will show the file.
To move it you need to read it and write it to where you really want it.
For example,

   d=. fread 'newfile.ijs' NB. from root of the J file system
   d fwrite '~user/newfile.ijs'
   je 'newfile'

The only exception to the single level is that you can copy ALL of your
device files to your Mac with the save to... button.