Preface: Please don’t read any judgement of DNSSEC’s value into this
question. Just looking for the opportunity to understand DNSSEC better from
some world-class experts if any care to respond.

When a client (or any DNS-speaker) is doing validation, doesn’t it set CD
on queries through a forwarder? In that sense, the intermediate servers do
not filter “bad answers.” Or is my understanding incorrect? Or do you mean
the data that the forwarder is using internally has been filtered of bad
answers?