On 2/9/24 12:39, Mark Andrews wrote:
Do the analysis where the resolver is under attack or the auth server with the
best rtt is stale.

I admit here we most often work with internal only forwarders, which are not accessible from outer internet. So those won't be under attack, at least directed from uncontrolled outside. For internal organization resolver it is somehow easier to find source of attack and make them stopped. Something not possible on public internet. And of course, if auth server becomes unreachable, it is up to resolver to try alternative servers known. If they do not respond as well, then yes, stale cache is the only thing protecting us from serving SERVFAILs.

But I am not sure how that contradicts what I have written before. Can you elaborate a bit more, please?

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer, RHEL