Genzyme Corporation  (Public, NASDAQ:GENZ)

Genzyme sells new gene test for cystic fibrosis

The biotechnology company said the diagnostic test can detect about
98 percent of about 1,200 disease-causing variations in a gene, in
which mutations are linked to cystic fibrosis.

BioMarin Announces Marketing Approval for Aldurazyme in Japan

    NOVATO, Calif., Oct. 31  -- BioMarin
Pharmaceutical Inc. (Nasdaq and SWX: BMRN) announced today that
Japan's
Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare (MHLW) has granted marketing
authorization for Aldurazyme(R) (laronidase), the first specific
treatment
approved in Japan for patients with the genetic disease
mucopolysaccharidosis I (MPS I). Aldurazyme was approved in Japan as
an
orphan drug.
    "I am very pleased that enzyme replacement therapy with
Aldurazyme has
finally been approved in Japan for the treatment of MPS I," stated
Yoshikatsu Eto, M.D., Chairman and Professor in the Department of
Pediatrics at Tokyo Jikei University Hospital located in Tokyo,
Japan.
"This is an important milestone for Japanese MPS I patients and their
treating physicians who now have an effective treatment for this
debilitating and life-threatening disease."
    Aldurazyme was developed in partnership between BioMarin and
Genzyme
and was approved in the United States and the European Union in
April and
May 2003, respectively. Pursuant to the joint venture, BioMarin is
responsible for manufacturing Aldurazyme and Genzyme is responsible
for its
commercialization. All expenses and profits and are shared equally
between
the companies.

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/
http://famouspeople.wordpress.com/