New LMU Center To Support Nanotechnology Industry

source
<http://www.lmu.edu/Page33508.aspx?DateTime=633064896000000000&PageMode=\
View>  New LMU Center To Support Nanotechnology Industry

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/ <http://www.arizonabiotech.com/>

Nanotechnology Center provides access to research and trainings on
nanotechnology for the business, education and engineering communities

Loyola Marymount University has created an open education and research
center to provide business, education and engineering communities with
access to e-learning, conferences, seminars and information exchange
programs about nanotechnology. Nanotechnology is the study devoted to
the design and production of extremely small electronic devices and
circuits built from individual atoms and molecules.

"Nano is just one more step in the history of technology that has and
will change our lives," said John Wholihan, dean of LMU's College of
Business Administration. "Establishing the Nanotechnology Center at LMU
allows our students to graduate recognizing the impact science will have
on their business and personal lives."

The primary focus of the center is on the application and use of
nanotechnology and its integration with the products that are
manufactured today. Also, it is the foremost hub advocating the
application and use of nanotechnology at the micro, nano and pico scales
simultaneously.

Business and engineering students investigate nanotechnology that is
being undertaken worldwide and locate and identify companies that are
applying nanoscale technology. As an open education research system, the
center shares its results and discoveries, and advocates collaboration
in all of its activities.

"Our purpose is to complement other organizations and our competition is
time," said Anthony Laviano, director of the Nanotechnology Center at
LMU. "The understanding of nanotechnology will lead the way in
tomorrow's product strategy solution."

In order to fulfill this goal, the center offers a certificate program
entitled "Essentials in Understanding and Managing Nanotechnology."
Participants develop a working knowledge of nanotechnology and receive a
top-level understanding of market and financial opportunities for
application. Participants in the program must have a minimum of two
years work experience and be internet literate.

Additionally, the center has developed curriculum at the high school,
undergraduate and graduate levels. LMU will offer its first
undergraduate course in nanotechnology in Fall '07 and its first
graduate course in Spring '08. The high school curriculum will be
used at the Don Bosco Technical Institute in Fall `07. The institute
plans to build a new computer lab that will accommodate 40 students for
future trainings.

The center also launched a partnership with the City of El Segundo to
provide local businesses with immediate and skilled nanotechnology
experts. The partnership is a model, developed with the hope of
expanding to include all of Los Angeles County.

"The rapid advancement of nanotechnology is critical to El Segundo and
its business community because many of our companies stake their futures
on using the best technology available in their products and services,"
said Kelly McDowell, mayor of El Segundo. "We look forward to engaging
LMU and our city in this enterprise and to attracting and growing new
businesses focused on nanotechnology."

Laviano, who runs the center with a staff of four, has served on the
National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council for
Nanotechnology, and served as the LMU Frank R. Seaver College of Science
and Engineering Chair for Nanotechnology. He received a B.A. from St.
Charles College, Pa., an M.B.A. from Pepperdine University and a Ph.D.
in business administration from Nova Southeastern University, Fla.

Laviano is also the founder and executive director of NANOWorld, an
outreach program that focuses on the education, application and use of
nanotechnology in the physical and life sciences.