Hi Gregory,

I played with the database sync as well to get further speedups, but in the
latest version I could only get about 1% extra from this.

In the Satoshi client there is a bunch of sleeps and mutexes (put in there with
great generosity)  for making threads run smoother and to avoid deadlock I
guess.

The big change in speed came from moving from the threading based setup to the
async based setup, so I think these are the culprit. Further, as I also write
somewhere in the wiki. I can measure that 50% of the time is consumed in
verify, so there is not much left to optimize now. Actually, Berkeley DB does a
quite decent job in caching reads so not even a cache should help.

Cheers,

On 01/02/2012, at 15:59, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Michael Grønager <grona...@ceptacle.com>
> wrote:
>> The libcoin/bitcoind client downloads the entire block chain 3.5 times
>> faster than the bitcoin/bitcoind client. This is less than 90 minutes on a
>> modern laptop!
>
> Very interesting. Do you know where this speedup came from?  It's not
> typical for straight refactors that don't change datastructures and
> the like to see such big speedups.
>
> I see you have commented out code that disables fsync, which was my
> first guess since I get big speedups from doing similar things.

Michael Gronager, PhD
Director, Ceptacle
Jens Juels Gade 33
2100 Copenhagen E