I was baffled by this exact script, too. :)

Big props to Gavin for adding those data-driven test cases. I can't
overstate how useful they are.

Is there interest to port more tests (P2SH, checksig, checkmultisig,
block verification, maybe even DoS rules) into data-driven format? It
might be something that I'd like to help with if pull requests in that
direction are welcome.