On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 01:57:14PM -0700, Mark Friedenbach wrote:
> On 03/24/2014 01:34 PM, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
> > I'm here because I want to sell corn for bitcoin, and I believe it will be
> > more profitable for me to do that with a bitcoin-blockchain-based system
> > in which I have the capability to audit the code that executes the trade.
>
> A discussion over such a system would be on-topic. Indeed I have made my
> own proposals for systems with that capability in the past:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/31322676/
>
> There's no reason to invoke alts however. There are ways where this can
> be done within the bitcoin ecosystem, using bitcoins:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/p/bitcoin/mailman/message/32108143/
>
> > I think that's fair, so long as we limit bitcoin-development discussion to
> > issues that are relevant to the owners of the hashrate and companies that
> > pay developer salaries.
> >
> > What I'm asking for is some honesty that Bitcoin is a centralized system
> > and to stop arguing technical points on the altar of
> > distributed/decentralized
> > whatever. It's pretty clear if you want decentralized you should go with
> > altchains.
>
> Bitcoin is not a centralized system, and neither is its development. I
> don't even know how to respond to that. Bringing up altchains is a total
> red herring.
>
> This is *bitcoin*-development. Please don't make it have to become a
> moderated mailing list.

When I can pick up a miner at Best Buy and pay it off in 9 months I'll
agree with you that bitcoin *might* be decentralized. Maybe there's a
chance this *will* happen eventually, but right now we have a couple of
mining cartels that control most of the hashrate.

There are plenty of interesting alt-hash-chains for which mass produced,
general purpose (or gpgpu-purpose) hardware exists and is in high volume
mass production.