What about using fraud proofs? Your coinbase only matures if nobody publishes
proof that you signed a competing block.

Then something is at least at stake. When it's your chance to sign a block,
attempting to sign and publish more than one at the same height reliably
punishes you (you effectively waste your chance and receive no reward.)

I can't remember who I saw discussing this idea. Might have been Vitalik
Buterin?