Sure I know that x509 is international standard. And that HTTPS uses TLS.
This is not my point, my point is that when we use HTTPS the developer
delegates certificates verification to the plateform he is running on, so
developer don't have to bother about it, making the implementation safer
and easier.

On the other hand, if you charge the developer (and not the plateform) to
check certificate validity, it means that you have to develop a different
codebase for all plateform you are targeting, because each plateform store
trusted root certificate in a different manner with different APIs, and
also have different types representing a X509 Certificate.

So, let's say I want to target IOS + WP + Android + WinRT + desktop win, I
need to develop 4 times chain verification and certificate parsing.
(Because I can't verify a certificate if it is not in the specific type of
the underlying plateform)

And since it would take too much time to do that, I end up delegating
parsing and trust verification to a third party service.