On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 07:34:22PM +0000, Justus Ranvier wrote:
> In addition, I'll add that there is an assumption that honest actors
> can not alter their behavior in response to changing conditions.
>
> Since scorched-earth solutions to problems are apparently acceptable
> now, what would stop more honest node operators from patching their
> nodes to blacklist any peer that relays replace-by-fee transactions,
> and maybe even publish an IP address list of those peers?

None of those solutions are compatible with decentralized networks for a
lot of reasons. Given the inability to prevent sybil attacks your
suggestions lead to people being unfairly punished for poor connectivity
that may be entirely out of their control. They also make maintaining a
Bitcoin node and mining the blockchain require a significant amount of
hands on maintenance, again incompatible with a decentralized system.

--
'peter'[:-1]@petertodd.org
00000000000000000a1fb2fd17f5d8735a8a0e7aae841c95a12e82b934c4ac92