You might consider the dimension taken by the cooperative mining approach of AI
Coin, an altcoin that will launch April 27. The coin is an embodiment of
principles described in my whitepaper last May, "Bitcoin Cooperative Proof of
Stake".
http://arxiv.org/abs/1405.5741

Currently we do not use staking, as network-wide algorithmic trustworthiness
provides the security directly. Network operations, although highly automated
with intelligent software agents, has a human-in-the-loop for oversight.

Our innovation enables immediate settlement of transactions. Peers in our
network cooperate, taking turns creating new blocks. There is single version of
the blockchain which is appended to by a single peer, and is replicated by the
other peers. Our peers wrap Bitcoind instances, controlling transaction and new
block routing to form a scalable super peer topology. Peers have self-signed
X.509 certificates which encrypt messages and prevent impersonation. The
tamper-evident technology that secures Bitcoin's blockchain and transactions is
extended to secure the entire network. Inspired by an idea published by Nick
Szabo, our peers maintain tamper-evident logs which are replayed, verified and
signed by other peers. Aside from the whitepaper, more current technical
information can be found on our forum - where I would be glad to answer
questions and debate skeptics - instead of responding in this list off topic.

http://ai-cointalk.org

I would like thank those here and on IRC who last year encouraged me think
outside the box.

-Steve

CTO AI Coin, Inc.
512.791.7960