> I bought into
that myth about blackbellies being resistant to worms ( OK I know I started
something here)

Cecil, I think you started something good, because an intellectual discussion is never wasted. Here's my .02.

There's documentation enough that the pure, genetically polled Barbados Blackbelly brought parasite resistance with it. But subsequent outcrossing to produce the horned American Blackbelly/Barbado/What-have-you may not have been carried out universally to preserve the parasite resistance and some other attributes that the parent stock contributed. Virtues can probably be bred out as quickly as weaknesses and it's pretty much up to us as individual shepherds to select for things like parasite resistance. Probably any flock of sheep can "get it back" if it is severely culled to get rid of the animals that need to be propped up with drugs. I am working on my second generation of sheep and I am no where near there yet.

You have to look, too, at whether the animal is going to be as parasite resistant in a non-native environment as it is in its natural home.

I do see enough of the legendary attributes of the Barbados Blackbellies in my Americans to know that the spark is there - classic markings and hair coat, fecundity, out of season breeding - to believe that with selective breeding, the parasite resistance will express itself as well. I would like to become qualified in the Famacha method so that I didn't have to just guess at which of the sheep were resistant, and perhaps I will just go to wherever a clinic is being held so that I can learn.

I believe that selection for specific characteristics is most successful when done one characteristic at a time, and right now, I have a couple of priorities which include good structural soundness and a bit more size. When I get a little further along I will not only be selecting for parasite resistance, but also refining the genetics to raise and finish superior lambs 100% off grass. What's nice is as my current priorities are met, my pastures will also be improving, as well as my store of knowledge about the "art" of finishing superior grassfed lamb. By the time I'm about 110 years old or so, I should have one heck of a flock of sheep.

If you want a storm, here is something to start one over. Earlier this year I consulted with two vets over a chronic problem I had with a sheep. Both of them rendered the same general assessment - that the blackbelly sheep they had treated in the past were generally an unthrifty lot, subject to broken legs and terminal parasite loads. We can assume these are the horned variety they are talking of as I rather doubt there are any genetically polled sheep in either of their practices. Anyway, I think that represents a bit of an opportunity, and that is to prove them wrong. But the only way to do that is to impress them with some gorgeous, robust animals that they wouldn't have seen if they hadn't been out to float the horses' teeth. I am looking forward to that challenge!

Regards,
Barb Lee