I read a comment in one report that the most frequent causes if mortality in Barbados lambs ***in the feedlot*** are coccidiosis and parasites.

I imagine in Barbados as in America, if they are going to the feedlot model to raise lambs, they are subjecting them not only to a highly unnatural environment, but also probably selecting for things like high performance on concentrate rations (that make the gut sick anyway, which is an invitation to parasites) as opposed to the things the family farmer (or nature) would be selecting for. I could be TOTALLY wrong, but feedlot equals unnatural to me, a situation that promotes all sorts of sicknesses in the animals.

I suspect this is where a lot of the hardiness of livestock breeds has gone. My understanding is that in the cattle industry, producers have been urged to crossbreed to the point where there are few consistent gene pools, other than the high performing feedlot bulls that would starve to death in an average pasture. Big cows that are too expensive to feed and can't put on the marbling from grass that is necessary for edible beef. They HAVE to be feedlotted.

This is where I feel that the more people attend to the business of true animal husbandry, working to reestablish the genetic strengths that kept livestock alive before it became all about commodities markets and chemicals, the more we'll secure our own future wellbeing. Maybe if more of us small farmers take the ram by the horns, so to speak, and work on our breed(s) to intensify those characteristics that made the pure Barbados so desirable in the first place, we'll be unwittingly doing our food chain a favor in the process.

It's not a bad thought, returning farming to the small farmer. But the small farmer has to accept that he's not going to survive long buying drugs, pesticides, fertilizers and all the rest that we're supposed to need to keep our animals propped up, and expect to come out smelling like a rose in the end. The animals need to be returned to a state of health, they need to be managed to maintain that health (which isn't an accident), and it helps a lot if the soil is managed like a living organism that lives or dies by the hand of the farmer.

I'll get off my soapbox now, but it's important to me to plant the seed wherever I can, that you really can't judge what's real by starting with a flawed model. I don't know if Barbados sheep are suddenly dying willy nilly because of worms, or if this is a disease of the feedlot paradigm, as I read about. It's a road to nowhere, except more and more genetically weak animals unless careful selection takes place.

Barb