Depending on who you sell to, you may be able to put the scrapie tag in an
envelop and ask them to apply it when the lamb's ears are bigger. This will
work only if you trust the person to follow through, and they will also
need an applicator. This is not complying with the law, but it is a more
humane way of managing the tags for our blackbellies.

And even lambs sold at weaning age (12 weeks or so) have ears that are
better able to handle a scrapie tag than younger lambs. My point is that
you need to wait until the last possible moment to tag your sheep. On my
farm, I don't tag until I take a lamb in to get his health certificate for
transport. The vet won't issue the certificate without a scrapie tag.

(I suppose we should be glad our sheep have any ears at all. The folks
raising La Mancha goats (which are earless) have an interesting dilemma. I
believe they tattoo, which is REALLY a pain--literally.)

Carol