To: <blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:28 PM
Subject: [Blackbelly] Blackbellies Settling In

Hello everyone,
Thanks for the warm welcome. My little flock is settling in nicely. They are calmer today and not so scared. Their arrival at our farm Sunday night was uneventful, as we just left them on board the truck (with water & they had rode home on a bale of hay)until Monday morning. The newcomers caused all of the livestock around the house to stir though, as soon as they were unloaded and penned. It was very comical on both sides of the fences. The lambs had certainly not seen anything but other sheep, herding dogs and a cat before. They we scared. Immediately they had to be inspected upclose by our dairy(nurse)cow and her three calves. Then our horses caught sight of them, and they had to come in from the field for an upclose look. I am glad that Jack and I and my son had followed Carol's advice and laid cattle panels over both ends of their pens...the poor babies thought they would be eaten for sure when those three giant horses came to look over the fence at them. It was really a funny thing to witness, we all laughed out loud! The flock will be exposed to all kinds of animals here! We have about 130 cow/calf pairs, steers, weanling calves, bottle babies, chickens, dogs (only one herding), cats (outside kitty has gone inside their pen numerous times to check them out up close), 3 horses and soon they will get their very own gelded donkey for a guardian. I am rambling on...sorry. They are all doing fine though and have settled down nicely!

Thanks again for the welcome!
Shawna