I wish that submitters would indicate what area of the county they are
posting from.
It is especially important when one considers a subject like coyotes.

Here in the northeast coyotes are hybridizing with Canadian wolves and they
are hunting in groups.
What may work in Southern California where the coyotes are just slightly
larger than northeastern
foxes might not work with a Coy-wolf.

That being said, we live in a  coyote high count neighborhood  where the
Coyotes are about the size of
German Shepherd dogs.  This winter we protected 30 sheep and 24 ducks with
a woven wire fence, hot wires at top and bottom and 2 standard donkeys free
to patrol the paddock at night. The coyotes left evidence that they scaled
the 48" woven wire of an adjacent paddock. And they were seen traversing
adjacent paddocks but did not enter our protected night paddock.

Some say just the scent of donkeys is enough to keep them away but that is
not correct. Some say Standards must be required as to have the size
needed. We had an incident near Buffalo NY where a woman's mini donk was
attacked by a coyote even as she tried to defend it. A friends 2 minis ran
for self preservation and left the sheep to fend for themselves. I have my
doubts as to whether a single Donkey would fare well with 2 or more
coy-wolves in a field.

Last winter the sheep were at a friends farm and she protected them in a
barn with 2 great Pyrennes locked in with the sheep. She would still have
to go out with a shot gun from time to time. This seemed like an
inconvenient method to us.

Joanne
The Genesee Ewe-ery
Scottsville NY