From: Blackbelly [mailto:blackbelly-boun...@lists.blackbellysheep.info] On
Behalf Of Jann Bach
Sent: Friday, May 09, 2014 10:01 PM
To: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Cc: blackbelly@lists.blackbellysheep.info
Subject: Re: [Blackbelly] Coyote fence ideas

I have Tibetan Mastiffs for my LGDs. They are bred to bark just to bark, to
keep things away, not to bark just when something is approaching. I hear
coyotes around us but they seem to stay away from our property so far.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 9, 2014, at 5:30 PM, Carol Elkins <celk...@critterhaven.biz> wrote:
>
> Michael,
>
> Most LGDs believe that a good offense is the best defense and will network
with the entire neighborhood to keep current on the state of affairs.
Networking in this sense is barking. And LGDs need to bark long before there
is a problem to ensure that whatever is out there doesn't become a problem.
In my experience, there are over-barky LGDs, but I have found that my
minimalist LGDs still bark at things that I don't perceive as problems. Like
you, my farm was victim to a combined cougar/coyote attack that killed and
consumed 5 90-lb lambs. I lived under siege until I could purchase my LGDs.
They were 6 months old when they arrived (they don't become adults until
they are 2 years old), but they had their adult bark. That bark is what I
have relied on ever since they arrived in 2008 to keep my farm safe. Yes, it
can be really annoying at times (full moons are particularly problematic),
but I have ear plugs.