On Mon, 2005-12-26 at 16:28 +1300, Simon Geard wrote:
> Alternatively, has anyone managed to do a successful build of Xorg 7.0?
> I tried one of the earlier release candidates, but had problems with the
> Xserver build failing to work with Mesa.

Ok, I think I've sorted out the Mesa issues. The key thing seems to be
that despite Xorg distributing both the MesaLibs and MesaDemos packages
under the 'extras' directory, only the former should be used.

If you unpack both of them and try to build, it attempts to build the
demos which require freeglut to be installed. And freeglut can't be
installed, because it needs to have Mesa installed first to provide the
GL headers and libraries. So, forget the Demos package - it's not
needed, and probably shouldn't even be distributed with X.

Following that, you need to leave the Mesa build directory lying around
somewhere, and pass --with-mesa-source=... to configure when building
xorg-server.

I've got to say - the modular structure may be great for the developers,
but the actual transition is a real pain. Almost everything is a simple
configure && make install, but working out the dependencies between
nearly 200 new packages ain't much fun.

Simon.