An acquaintence of mine hooked up a Braille display and blue tooth keyboard to his iPhone so he has the benefits of a phone, email, calendar, and note taking plus all the rest of the bazillion apps that are out there. He did have to buy an extra battery for it as the blue tooth is a bit huhngry. But he said that set up was way cheaper and portable than the specific devices out there. He uses it out on the road in his business daily.

Brad

On 5/22/2011  03:32 PM john melia said...
yes the pack mate cost a lot more than a laptop and I don't know how longer f s will be making the pack mate. one things many blind folks are using laptops instead of a personal data device the cost is less and you can duplicate what is on your desktop.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Vos" <v...@iowatelecom.net>
To: <blind-computing@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2011 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [Blind-Computing] braillenote, pacmate or laptop;

Battery Life of the PM depends partly on how you use it.
But here's a comparison.
My laptop will run maybe 1.5-2 hours without being connected to power.
I can take my PM on a trip and use it all day and still have 80 percent of
battery left.
I think it is safe to say that the PM will work all day and need no more
than a charge once a day or even every couple days.
Without a screen or hard drive to power, battery life will be much longer.
Blessings,
Tom