Even if you're not great at cutting you should do it because poorly cut gems, at higher levels, are still better than gems you didn't bother to cut, and because you can reforge them until they're good ones.  Yes, there is a fraction of a second delay between when you tap and when it cuts.  I tend to do it toward the end of the sound, or more slowly so that it makes a rhythm with the end of the sound. Ding-tap-tap-tink. The tink is in rhythm with what the sound would do if it was just going ding, ding, ding, in a rapid rhythm in sync with the phone's vibration or the length of the ring sound. The phone is still vibrating at the end of my last tap and stops about then. I don't cut perfectly, so the timing could probably be better refined.  I've never figured out the fine art of the split tap. I just do a plain doubletap and live with the results. Some people swear by the split tap.