You have long since passed where Karth's key is, and yes you can get back to it. Not going to spoil it for you though.

On 4/4/2023 10:59 AM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
It helps to listen for rumors in inns, usually only once.  As a result of
one of those listening sessions I was in an ocean cave for a while and
made it to cave level 2 but haven't got karth's rune key so can't open his
workshop yet.  It's taking two or more days to get to a new location even
with success percentages over 70% but that's part of the game.  I have
more to do in the foresaken desert in the runes and trading with travelers
but figure to build stats in other locations first then circle back to the
desert and do what I can in that desert.

-- Jude <jdashiel at panix dot com> "There are four boxes to be used in
defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that
order." Ed Howdershelt 1940.