The chisel upgrades the found gems to the first level of cut after you acquire it. It does not apply to previously discovered gems or have any other effect than to reduce the amount of cutting you have to do and thus, perhaps, allow a higher percentage when you're done if you're successful at it.  The recipe raises the level of the highest tier available to cut, making the stat effects of the properly cut gems stronger. In short, as frustrating as gem cutting is, it really is essential to game progression.