Hi Andy,

I have never had much luck cutting to a mark although there are some here
who do apparently use an awl or other scratch tool to mark and cut, I find
that even using a finger nail to locate the mark against a tool or jig is
too inaccurate for me. I don't know how they make it work for them however I
will tell you how I work.

My advice on buying a compound miter saw is first to buy the best you
possibly can. They are getting better all the time of course, mine is a 10
inch Makita sliding compound miter saw, these days they are as much as 14
inches and with a slide they can cut a very wide board. New ones will tilt
left or right for a bevel cut each way, this is not essential but if you get
one be sure it has a positive stop at 90 degrees vertical and preferably at
least one stop at 45 degrees to one or other side, preferably both.

My saw has a raised scale and pointer for setting the miter left and right
but I find it difficult to use this exclusively to set precise angles, the
pointer must line up very directly with the raised mark on the scale, a
sighted person will stand in line with the two but my fingers, though they
can get me close are usually off a degree or two when I actually make the
cut. My saw though does have detent stops at 15, 30 and 45 degrees in both
directions and of course at 0 degrees so those are very easy and convenient.
Some now have other detent stops, you want as many as is reasonable or
practical, stops will save you loads of time locating very accurately the
most commonly using angles.

You will prefer a fairly high fence. It is very helpful to be able to lay
one 2 by 4 of a known and desired length on top of another to duplicate it
and it will be much easier to line them both up if the fence is high enough.
Because of the depth available it is often very helpful to lay out two
boards and cut them simultaneously by cutting through the double thickness
which makes it easy to get two very exactly the same length and a fence high
enough to do this will be satisfying.

The last thing that occurs to me is to get as long a bed as you can. This
makes it easier to use. If you can get a purpose built stand with extensions
to hold long pieces you may be able to attach blocks against which you can
push a series of boards to cut many of exact length.

I have built a cabinet to hold my saw with a dust hutch behind to catch as
much as I can. I had a pair of extensions but they were not to my
satisfaction, I will try again some day to have extensions which I can raise
into place with a back fence and block I can run out and lock into place for
making several pieces of precise length. The old table I had built for house
building is way too big, it now rests in the back lane where it may
disappear any day but where I can still use it if I again need to cut
lengths up to about 20 feet.

Most of these saws have at least one hold-down clamp, mine does, it can be
located on either side of the saw, I should have had two, it gets a bit
frustrating to move it though I don't often want it on the right side of the
saw.

As for measuring, I lower the saw to the work and measure that way. Usually
I am in a hurry so I find myself using my chin or forehead to hold the saw
down while I measure with both hands. Pushing the saw down retracts the
blade guard. The start requires a button to be held while the trigger is
squeezed but probably one should take the additional safety measure of
unplugging the saw when doing this.

Because I have this cabinet with three drawers for storing tools I also have
an 18 inch or so bungie cord which I loop around the handle and hook to one
of the drawer handles. This only just balances the spring which raises the
saw so I can pull it down to the work and it pretty well stays where I leave
it. I can then slide my measure to the end of the board and then slide the
board until the blade just touches the measure. Double check that the work
is snug against the fence then clamp the work down and remove the measure,
release the cord so the saw rises then grab the trigger and make your cut.

Remember that the teeth of a carbide blade are a little thicker than the
blade and the pitch of a conventional blade too is a little wider. This is
only millimeters but it can make a difference.

If using a single piece as a measure for multiple pieces keep the first one
as a master and use it as your standard. Small errors can compound and
become significant. This is not just true for blind folk, I notice that the
television cabinet makers do precisely the same thing for the same reason.

I am not as careful as probably I should be, I don't always clamp my work
but hold it with my free left hand much of the time however if you clamp
your work and put your left hand in your pocket before you grasp that handle
you and you listen for that saw to spin fully down before you let go, you
will be hard pressed to find a way of getting hurt. Take the additional step
of unplugging the machine before you bring the blade to measure the work and
I don't see how you could ever get hurt. Even my way would be tough enough.

I hope this is helpful to you. In my mind, a miter saw is about the most
useful tool a blind wood worker can own even if all you do is some framing
or decking. You will soon want a table saw, I don't know which is more
desirable, I got the table saw first and did a lot of pretty sophisticated
work with it but that miter saw is also pretty darn helpful.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens