  From: Dale Leavens
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 10:31 PM
  Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Another Estimate!

  I doubt that they plan to set the pumps up outside but it is an option.
Rather than build a sump in the basement floor in some or other corner one
could dig all around the outside, lay in the tile and backfill with crushed
rock and sand but form a sump and well maybe a cement block walled well with a
sump at the bottom along one wall with a cover. The pump would live in the sump
at the bottom of the well, water would be collected in the tile around the
perimeter of the wall and drain into the sump where the pump would carry it
away.

  They don't do it that way here because the frost line generally exceeds four
feet particularly where there is any traffic compressing the snow cover
although there could be enough heat loss through the basement wall to prevent
freezing. If the basement wall is insulated then it would not likely be enough.
I am guessing that in Indiana a little insulation in the cover of the well
would be plenty. It would mean that you don't need a hole in your basement
floor for the sump or the need to push a pipe under the footing to bring the
water to the sump inside.

  I wonder if anyone has thought of arranging the sump on the outside.

  It is also worth while asking where they intend to pump the water to. Clearly
you want it down hill from your home and probably not into the sewer which can
be expected to be at capacity during a storm when you need this protection the
most. Once water is being withdrawn before it penetrates the walls you should
soon experience an improvement in the moisture in the basement area.

  An indoor collection is much easier to do and thus the much lower price. I
would think it also the less convenient in the long term. In the short term
though, digging up your yard is pretty darn inconvenient. a trench say two feet
wide and four or more feet deep depending on the depth of the basement will
liberate a load of muck most of which to be hauled away and replaced with sand
and gravel. Messy and of course a lot more money.