From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:blindhandy...@yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Dale Leavens
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 9:22 AM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Using Gas Grill!

I was given one of those big thick gloves with silicone coating which I like
to use for handling hot stuff on the grill. Sometimes just as a backing to
hold burgers while I slide a spatula under, helps keep the big thick burgers
I make from falling apart when flipping. It is also useful to turn an entire
row of wieners or those good hot sausages in a single motion.
I never concern myself with flare-up, I rather like the singe flavour and am
glad to see the fat burning off.
We like good thick cut pork chops, sirloin or t-bone steak. I haven't done
kabobs for a very long time now but often think of it.

Mine has a warming rack about 5 inches above the main grill surface, I like
to toast buns on it or to make garlicky or cheese bread to go with what ever
else is cooking. Often we wrap potatoes in foil and roast them too, starting
them before the meet. You can't hardly get it wrong, the potatoes will take
a lot of cooking and still taste fine.

I generally start my barbecue with the lid closed but I don't leave the gas
run long if it doesn't start nearly immediately. I shut the gas off, wait a
moment and start again. Even a slight breeze can keep the gas from igniting.

Although this grill continues to start readily it is usually the starter
which fails first. My last one quit working within a year. I kept loosing
those little igniter lighters so for seven or ten years I started it with my
plumbers torch. Drove Janet crazy!

There isn't really any difference between a barbecue and a gas range.
Keeping the propane bottles full is a pain, you might consider direct
connection to natural gas if you have gas to your home. I have two gas
bottles and keep one spare full all of the time because it isn't always
convenient to get a ride to a filling station. This time I also bought a
barbecue with a side burner. Don't use it often but occasionally the
electricity fails here and Janet is a lot easier to get along with if she
gets her tea in the morning.

She is not confident with gas or maybe she just likes me to think that so
she isn't expected to use it. She certainly did use it in England and that
was a primitive range.

Dale Leavens