Why not get a whole house filter. I have callegan filters. About $25 at Sears.
Easy to install, just cut the pipe and use two 3/4 inch adapters. The reason I
like the calegan filter is the air and shut off valve on the filter.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lenny McHugh
  To: bhm
  Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 10:30 PM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] water filter

  I am thinking about installing a water filter. Although we are on municipal
water it sometimes is not clear and often has a strong chlorine smell. The new
refrigerator that will be delivered tomorrow has a water filter installed. I
have been thinking about placing one in the basement under the kitchen sink
area. then run the lines to the cold water and for the ice maker. Any
suggestions on what kind to install. Doing a search there is only about 3
million hits to read. I called some big box stores and they have no real great
suggestions. They have sediment filters starting for $35 and on the net I found
systems for several thousand dollars.
  ---
  Please visit my home page, it is motivational, educational, inspirational
with a touch of humor. There is also a very extensive resource list for the
blind.
  http://www.LennyMcHugh.com