On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Geoffrey Hutchison
<ge...@geoffhutchison.net> wrote:
> No, it's not even spring yet. (Although it has been very warm here in
> Pittsburgh.)
>
> But it's close to time for Google Summer of Code. Over the last few
> years, we have been reasonably successful with chemistry projects
> through other mentoring organizations (particularly KDE).
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Summer_of_Code/2009/Ideas

Yes, via e.g. KDE: strigi-chemistry [1], avogadro [0]

> I do think we should try to get Blue Obelisk as a mentoring
> organization. Ideas?

I have tried with Bioclipse in the past... you get no feedback, so no
clue why we failed... Blue Obelisk is bigger, but also less focused...
we can always try... Last year a university participated... and some
of use have been to SciFoo, so understand better than others what
interest google has in cheminformatics (and not very much too...)...

First, we need a solid core of 'mentors' who are going too bootstrap
this... we need at least some 8 of them to make our point.

Being a mentor is a real demanding jobs: you need to be available
through the full summer, in principle, and well before that too. It's
like supervising a student, but typically needs more attention and
actual hands-on programming.

This is important, as the first step actually is to convince Google
that we are up to the job...

So, the first question is, who of us wants to spend all summer to
supervise a student, who can come from whatever location in the world,
possibly not on your own ODOSOS project of interest. Note that
something like an advisory board will not help us; it's the actual
list at mentors they look at. For example, it would help to have
former mentors on this list, which would mean the Blue Obelisk members
Carsten, Marcus and me, possibly former students, Marcus [0] (he's
been both :) and Alexandr [1] (are you on this list?)... we have a
track record, and that is something the value, and we would need them
aboard to make a change, I think.

Geoff, have you actually been mentor for Avogadro too? Are there
others on the list (who have been lurking) who have been involved in
the GSoC via other projects?

Now, Google has shown to have a good interest in health care, and
there are many ways the Blue Obelisk could contribute to this from a
cheminformatics perspective, and could be a possible theme for a
proposal.

Egon

0.http://blog.cryos.net/categories/13-GSoC/P2.html
1.http://neksa.blogspot.com/2007/05/introduction.html