[uucdigest]         Tuesday, January 18 2000         Volume 03 : Number 054

| visit the BMW UUC Digest page: http://www.uucdigest.com
| Send SUBMISSIONS to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
| Complaints?  Send 'em to [EMAIL PROTECTED] if you must.
| Visit http://www.bubbaclub.com
| www.bimmers.com - "serving enthusiasts on the 'net"
| Visit http://www.bimmer.org - ultimate BMW bulletin boards!
| Subscribe to the Zionsville Autosport Parts Digest:
|   http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/majordomo.htm
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
In this BMW UUC Digest:

       [uuc] <E28> Purchase/Maintenance Observations, Part 2 of 3
       [uuc] <E28> Purchase/Maintenance Observations, Part 3 of 3
       Re: [uuc] HK Stereo in '95 M3?
       [uuc] FS: Dinan / Euro Airbox
       [uuc] People who run red lights
       [uuc] <E28> relays, the $9 one, the $40 one?
       Re: [uuc] Suspension-What to replace? <E30>
       [uuc] Redline oil in ZF autos
       [uuc] photo radar in VA?

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:33:11 -0700
From: Pearson-Franks Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E28> Purchase/Maintenance Observations, Part 2 of 3

Part 2 of 3 of my long post.

More E28 look-for's:

3)  Oil and Oil Leaks
     - Visually, 'fresh' oil will appear a clear brown, as you know.
       Black just means old, any cloudy or white means water, which
       is very BAD, 'bad' being likened to crossing two anti-proton
       streams, resulting in the destruction of the  universe as we know it.
     - Check under oil filler cap: there should be no cloudiness, and
       gives you an idea of internal cleanliness (which is good).
     - The owner's manual says it is 'OK' if the oil pressure light
       comes on 'at times', like idling when hot, but should go out
       when revved.  Drives me crazy if it comes on at all!  If the
       oil light comes on like this, replace it.  If it _still_ comes
       on, replace the oil pump - see below.
     - The oil pressure sender is a frequent leaker.  The leak will
       track down the side of the engine and drip off the lowest
       point of the bell housing, so don't confuse it with other
       potential problems.
     - The pan gaskets occasionally 'creep' out of their space and
       self-destruct.  If you go in to replace this on a high miles
       motor you intend to keep, replace the oil pump (and probably
       the sprocket) at the same time.  $150ish, and well worth it.

4)  Other Engine Compartment Stuff
     - All fuel lines are suspect by 100K - especially the short hank
       to the cold start injector at the lowest extreme of the
       intake manifold, for some esoteric reason.  Don't use cheap
       stuff!  Buy the BMW 8 x 13 mm original from one of many sources.
     - Vacuum leaks are a major hassle.  Prime symptom is rough idle,
       flat spots at mid revs, may also be fuel pressure regulator.
       Do easy candidates first:  put an o-ring in one of the grooves
       in the dipstick top.  Put clamps on the hoses to the valve
       cover and idle motor (if E28).  Replace any hard-as-rock
       hoses in general.  Replace the fuel injector o-rings.
     - Look at the brake fluid.  Black is _bad_, but at least means
       it wasn't being topped up each week (see 'slave' discussion
       below).  Color of the brake fluid is a very good indicator
       of the general tenor of the maintenance regime for the car.
       If it is black as pitch, indicating it is _not_ getting the
       yearly replacement the anal-among-us so lovingly do, check
       more closely for all the other maintenance opportunities.
     - Lots of things can make this baby idle rough; already
       mentioned vacuum leaks.  Mucho covered in FAQ's.  Best I
       have seen is by Sam Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> for a copy.
     - Plug wires are a 100k consumeable in my book.  Cleap insurance,
       can help several marginal symptoms, lotsa sources, $80ish.

5)  Tranny and Clutch
     - The 4-speed auto is famous for scorching the first clutch
       pack if revved in neutral.  Actually not a terrible job
       to accomplish if you are a steely-eyed DIYer.  Check that
       you can get the parts locally first!
     - The Getrag 5-speed should enter all gears smoothly -
       they are not especially prone to synchro failure in normal
       operation (i.e. not auto-x'd) but most are 'notchy', kinda
       hard to push into gear, especially when rev's not synched,
       but easily improved by putting in Redline MTL tranny oil.
     - Every 100K+ Getrag I've seen leaks.  From the rear is OK
       but messy - shift shaft seal fails, soaking back of tranny.
       Output shaft seal weeps, no major heartache.  Seam between
       front and rear half of tranny case weeps, wets bottom of
       tranny, but no sweat.  Saving the best for last:  If there
       is oil (not brake fluid, see below) coming out of the drain
       hole in the bell housing, either the tranny front seal is
       leaking, (likely) or the engine rear main (possibly).  This
       is _bad_ (see definition above) because the clutch is not
       designed to be oil-bathed, and will tend to chatter and fail.
       Seals are $5-$10 each, clutch trio (pressure plate, clutch
       disk, throw-out bearing) are $300ish.  All quite doable, but
       considerable labor, dropping exhaust, removing driveline.
     - While you're down there, check that the rear tranny mounts
       have not gone to mush, they do that.  Check the engine mounts
       too; check for cracks in the top, especially on the right.
     - Clutch pedal should depress smoothly, although with a lot more
       force in the 535i than the 528e or a 3-series.  Should not
       hang up on either the upswing or downswing - that could be
       broken 'ears' on the throwout bearing.
     - Stick your fingers under the forward edge of the dash sound
       cover just above the brake pedal and feel for wet, and smell
       your fingers - odor of brake fluid means the master is leaking.
     - Also check for clutch master cylinder flex to one side when
       the pedal is depressed - the pedal bracket mounting the
       master cylinder fatigues and cracks, allowing the master to
       move around.  Time-consuming to replace, but not hard.
     - If brake fluid is leaking out of the drain hole of the bell
       housing, the clutch slave cylinder is leaking - very common,
       but cheap and easy to fix.  Smell it to distinguish from oil,
       but bear in mind that you could be getting both.  Another
       tip-off for this one is really clean brake fluid, from someone
       topping it up as it coats their garage floor.  Another
       symptom for the slave being bad is that the clutch disengages
       very close to the floor, or the pedal will not return.
       This symptom is temp sensitive - may be fine when all is warm.
       Clutch pedal return problems _may_ be the assist spring
       on later E28's, if you are lucky  ;~).
     - Many of these beasties have developed a lot of play in the
       shift mechanism:  worn shifter bushings, mushy rubber mounts
       on the shift pivot mounting plate.  I greatly enjoy the
       result of the Metric Mechanic short-shift kit.  Stock shifter
       bushing parts will cost you $35-$60 at a dealer, MM shifter
       $200, ACS shifter $800.  Or BL/SS.  No affiliation.

end-o-part-2.  Larry F.
- --

Pearson-Franks Family
Issaquah, Washington

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:33:35 -0700
From: Pearson-Franks Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E28> Purchase/Maintenance Observations, Part 3 of 3

Part 3 of 3 of my long post.  More E28 look-for's:

6)  Driveline
     - Check guibo, the rubber flexdisk connecting the output of the
       tranny to the driveline.  At 100K it will be cracked, and may be
       the cause of a shudder at certain speeds (frequently 25 to 35
       mph), especially while under load.
     - Ditto the center bearing and support, but much harder to check,
       as you have to dispose of the exhaust system (well, remove
       enough to get the heat shield off, but you know what I mean!).
     - Do the traditional twist-drive-components-and-note-any-play
       of the two U-joints.  The rear one is the more likely to fail,
       and is easily observed.  Bear in mind that if they are bad,
       you will need to get the driveline rebuilt, $450ish if you
       rebuild the whole thing (recommended).  Check the Roundel for
       rebuilders - I have used Portland with great success.
     - Lots of candidates for driveline shudder; such as motor mounts,
       rear subframe mounts, and rotating the driveline to diff.
       orientation (which might have been thrown off by previous work).
     - Drop me a note if you want the long diatribe on dropping the
       exhaust, removing the driveline, etc.  Almost the same for E30's.

7)  Suspension, Steering and Brakes
     - There are books written on the subject of the front control
       arms bushings, but the exec summary is:  they all die.  Symptoms
       of impending doom are shuddering when braking, especially from
       say 65 down to 45.  May get very jumpy at the steering wheel.
       There are upper and lower control arm bushings and ball joints,
       and lots of alternatives (bushing upgrades, etc.).  FAQ's
       abound.  $160-$800 in parts.  Go with the modified 750 ones
       (Steve D'G or BavAuto) if you plan on keeping the car.
     - And, of course, the front rotors warp.  $120ish.  Always replace
       the 5mm hex that secures the rotors.  Cheap insurance.
     - The 535i boost system feels weird (the 528e is a very vanilla
       vacuum boost.)  The point is; in a perfectly healthy hydralic-
       boosted system, you can 'surprise' the system if the engine is
       running but the car is standing still by stomping the brake
       pedal hard - you can make it most of the way to the floor.  Not
       to worry; you are _way_ past the point that triggers ABS, but
       tech checks for track days may be tricky - the typical M3 driver
       doing the check will panic.  Explain ahead of time!
     - With the engine running for brake boost, stand on the brake
       pedal for 30 seconds or so.  If it drifts toward the floor,
       time for a master cylinder.  Replace, don't rebuild.  $80
       to $180, +/- year and/or ABS.
     - Steering should be 'tight' when gently rocked at the center
       of travel when the engine is off.  'Clunks' may mean Pitman
       arm bushings (_bad_), loose collar nut under dash (easy) or
       bad center track rod (cheap, <$60, but obnoxious).  Play
       also comes from a worn idler arm bushing.  <$30ish>
     - The two senders on the brake pressure regulator regularly leak.
       Replace them both, $32ish total.
     - There is a 'nitrogen ball', frequently referred to as the
       'brake bomb', due to it's cartoon-bomblike appearance, that
       dies.  Symptom is a slow-to-respond brake pedal, frequently
       accompanied by a flash of the 'brake' idiot light, and/or no
       brake boost immediately after shutting down the engine.  (It
       should give several-to-many 'assists' after shutdown).  Again,
       several fine FAQ's on replacement (somewhere).  $60ish.
     - When checking the p/s and brake boost fluid level, bear in
       mind that if the engine has been running and the nitrogen ball
       is in working order, there is a inch or so of fluid in the ball.
       Fully discharge the ball by stomping the brake pedal 10-20 times
       and watch the fluid level creep up.  Adjust to the line in the
       side of the can at that point.  This applies to the 'i' only;
       as the 'e' uses vacuum boost.
     - Fluid should be pretty; not black.  There is a filter in the
       bottom of the reserviour that should be changed on the 'i'.
     - This is another classic oil leak source:  the cheapy crimped
       hose clamps on the lines to the reserviour 'relax'.  Replace
       with decent stainless steel from Steve D'G.  Replace the
       low pressure hoses with quality stuff if anal-like-me.

8)  Interior, Electrical
     - Alternator brushes ($5.50 at BavAuto) are typical 140K items.
       Two screws pop the assy off the back of the alternator to check.
     - Weird guage problems (tach or mpg guage erratic, etc.) indicate
       a possible SI battery replacement needed.  Very typical, and
       lots written on the subject.
     - Dead SI batteries may also cause the Oil Service lights to be
       on at odd times.  <$10 for batts, couple hundred for rebuilt board.>
     - If batt's are OK, lights are very easily reset, refer to FAQ's
       and/or reset tools, or, for the very brave, just ground pin 7
       of the diagnostic connector, turn on the ignition (but don't start)
       until all the lights go off, and you're done.  Many will tell you
       this procedure is highly risky, but so is cutting vegetables
       with a dull knife - sheesh!  no rocket science here.
     - Jump pins 11 to 14 for remote start.  (15 pin version)
     - Headrest up/down dies.  Easy fix, good FAQ's elsewhere. $0.
     - Just an observation:  window lift and sunroof switches were
       illuminated 'standard' in late '86 US cars on.  Easy swap,
       wires already in place, as an easy upgrade.  I got a set from
       Jason at Zionsville, very cool outfit (no affiliation, yada x 3)
       Also, they get mechanically sticky and electrically erratic if
       exposed to Armorall.  Switches can be opened and cleaned.
     - Fuse box has chronic, but easy problems.  Fuse clips corrode,
       wirebrush 'em.  Fuses corrode, replace 'em all.  Connections inside
       the box can get erratic or hot.  A real bear to troubleshoot.
     - Several chronic problems show up as 'cutting out' at any speed,
       frequently the 'main' relay, sometimes the fuel pump relay,
       sometimes the position or timing sensors.  Connections to the
       _underside_ of Fuse 6 can corrode and heat up.
     - Several handy voltages to know, measured at the battery:
       10.0v - voltage at batt while cranking starter
       12.3v - 50% charged battery, 'at rest'
       12.7v - fully charged battery, 'at rest'
       13.6v - minimum acceptable alternator output at idle
       14.3v - maximum acceptable alternator output at revs
       Ref:  Mark Calabrese article "In the Dark?"
             March, 1996 Roundel
     - If the ABS light comes on after you start rolling, chances
       are one of the sensors is faulty.  The wires flex and fail
       inside the insulation.  Definitive test is with an ohmmeter
       on the connector to the ABS brain above the fuel injection
       ECU above the glovebox.  Details in Bentley and elsewhere.
       Also, the sensors or the gear they read can just get scummed
       up, and are recovered by mere cleaning.  Which entails pulling
       the wheels, rotors and sensors.  <$0>.

9)  General
     - Don't believe a _dang_ thing a salesperson says, if there
       is not documentation behind it.  "Changed the oil every 3K
       miles" if literally true means they _never_ changed the
       filter.  Semantics?  Maybe.  The car tells the real story,
       a salesperson has a car to sell.
     - Lots of exhaust replacement opinions, choose one you like.
       The E28 cats crack, but can be successfully welded for years.
     - Water in the trunk is usually a bad (hardened and/or cracked)
       rubber gasket around the taillight assy's.  Replace them both.
     - Buy a Bentley manual, and an ETM (Electronic Troubleshooting
       Manual) if you are electrically astute.
     - Check to see if it has the TRX tires.  If so, you face one of
       the classic $$$ delimmas - discount asking price $400 if tires
       OK, $1000 if tires need replacement.  Many details elsewhere.
     - For an excellent treatment of all the E- and M- numbers, check:
       http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html, John Burns' page.

That's it!  As before, comments, corrections welcome.  Larry F.
- --

Pearson-Franks Family
Issaquah, Washington

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:44:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] HK Stereo in '95 M3?

> I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to retro fit a '95 M3
> (production 9/94) with a Harmon Kardon Stereo system from a later M3?
> What is entailed in doing this?  Is the wiring significantly different
> etc.?

Unless someone is giving you the setup for free, I wouldn't waste the effort.
I think the sound improvement is marginal at best.  Spend the money to get a
good amp and power the existing speakers....probably better sound quality in
the end.  YMMV.  FWIW.

Chester

=====

http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:41:14 -0800
From: "Rob Hatrak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] FS: Dinan / Euro Airbox

Please send email if you are interested.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 22:57:17 -0800 (PST)
From: Chester Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] People who run red lights

I think those red light running machines are great...especially if no points
are assigned for the offense.  Aside from special circumstances (funeral,
emergency, wife is having a baby, etc), there is absolutely no excuse for
running a red light!  ...save for an ambulance on your butt with him no where
to go at a red light.  I really love those people in those old Monte Carlos who
edge up and up and up...until they run the red light and repeat the offense in
about 200 feet at the next light.  When all is said and done, you caught up to
the guy because all the lights turned green.  I can only imagine how bad it
would be to get t-boned by some assh*le who ran a red light.  Just the other
day while cruising down the side street, I see the light turned green in front
of me.  I had at least another 40 feet before entering the intersection when lo
and behold, it's a Ford Taurus that just zipped through!!!!  It's times like
this that I wish I could chase them down and bonk them on the head!

Here's a funny story:  When I was in JHS, my friend and myself were riding our
bikes back from a beeper store to activate his beeper(I thought it was a total
waste of money for a 12 yr old...but whatever floated his boat at the time).
Anyway, as we approach East 12th Street and Ave T (heading southbound on E12th
with the green light in our favor), some hick in a pickup truck runs the red
heading eastbound on Ave T.  I scream out, "Hey d*ckhead...you ran a redlight!
You f*cken moron!"  Ok...I was had a pretty "fresh" mouth back then ;)  He
immediately slammed on the brakes (we had just crossed the intersection) and
started screaming, "What?  You little f*ckin gook.  WTF are you saying?"  He
wasn't even calling me by the right racial slur.  Hello?  I'm Chinese! =)  I
replied, "F*ck you assh*le".  He then threw it in reverse, and started chasing
us down the block.  We headed for the sidewalk peddling as fast as we could.
He hit the next intersection and feign to turn left.  He turns left and then we
dart back down E12th Street.  At this time, he was trying to back up again, but
Ave U was very crowded and all sorts of people were honking at him.  He biked
as hard as possible back to my place, ran up the stairs with the bikes and hid
in my place until the coast was clear.

Man, it's amazing that I've made it this far....  =)

Chester

=====

http://im.yahoo.com

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:15:03 -0800 (PST)
From: John Bolhuis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] <E28> relays, the $9 one, the $40 one?

 Getting some relays to replace the old crusty ones in the '84 533,
'85 535.  There's a main relay, the one with 2 "87" output terminals,
and it's very reasonably priced.  Then there's a 4-pronger no-frills
30A relay that runs things like the fuel pump, and the high & low
speed cooling fan, among others.  They cost about $9, unless you look
up the fuel pump relay specifically, then it's $40.  Can anyone shed
light on this?  A conspiracy?  Recommendations welcome.

 Also, regarding main relays, they have a pair of diodes in the coil
circuit, presumably to eliminate back-EMF spikes from affecting
whatever circuit activates it.  It is possible to buy cheap sh*t $5
relays that have the correct pinouts, but no diodes.  So you Motronic
experts, if one used an unprotected main relay, would the back-EMF
spike damage at turn-off be immediate, cumulative, or nonexistant?

- --
  John Bolhuis  | "In America it is not considered to be mentally ill
 bolhuijo       | when a woman advances on her prey in a discotheque
  @bolhuijo.com | setting with hardy cocktails present."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 07:55:33 -0000
From: "Fitzgerald, Mark ()" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [uuc] Suspension-What to replace? <E30>

        If there is a squeak from the rear suspension then it is most likely
the rear sub-frame bushings. It is, by all accounts a difficult job to do.
Mine are squeaking at the moment and I just stuck a piece of rubber between
the bush and the body (look at the bottom corner in front of the wheel to
spot these bushes) to stop the squeaking. I have the replacement parts and
there are good instructions on the unofficial BMW page
http://www.unofficialbmw.com <http://www.unofficialbmw.com>  on how to do
this job, must get round to doing it. The shocks could also be causing the
squeaking, a worn shock would cause a squeak, try grease the shaft of the
shocks, if squeaking stops then it's your shocks, oh, to test the rear
subframe bushings, jack up the car and attempt to move the wheel (without
turning) from front to back of car, squeakng should be evident if R S-F
bushings are gone.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 21:27:00 +1300
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [uuc] Redline oil in ZF autos

I've been following the thread about the ZF 4HP22 auto trannies and in
Digest #48 Scottie asked about Redline fluid. I have a '88 325i with the 4
EHP22 tranny.
I'm sure John Burns is right about the expected lifespan of one of these...
look after them and they'll last much longer. Of course, the design fault
with the 'A' clutch needs fixing, but assuming that's taken care of, regular
servicing will make a big difference to their longevity. I've heard of a few
which have done over 200K without trouble. The one thing they had in common:
Regular servicing. My car is reasonably low mileage for it's age, (93K) so I
wouldn't expect any trouble form the tranny for a while yet. About 8K ago I
serviced the tranny. I'd ordered some Redline oil for it, but grew nervous
about using it after a mechanic at my local BMW Dealer said he would'nt put
a synthetic oil in one of these trannies. I decided to email ZF in Germany
directly and ask their opinion. They replied promptly, saying that any oil
which meets their specification - and Redline does - would be fine. However,
they did add that they couldn't see any advantage to using a synthetic and
considered it an unnecessary expense.
As my oil was already ordered I took delivery and after changing the filter
and 'O' ring in the 'box, filled it with Redline. That was 8K ago and it
still works. I couldn't notice any difference at all in performance, despite
being very attentive to the changing pattern and smoothness for the
following week or two. I do feel now that my tranny has excellent protection
against early failure. Maybe the greatest benefit is peace of mind. I'll be
changing oil and filter every 20K. Where synthetics really score is their
ability to keep on lubricating without breaking down at very high
temperatures. I guess if the tranny ever got really hot the synthetic oil
would help to keep it going, but then, if the temperature has got that high
there's probably something wrong with it anyway. No oil will repair a
mechanical fault.
So, according to ZF: Use a synthetic oil if you like. It won't do any harm.
Whether it does any good will no doubt continue to be a topic of debate.
Regards,
Paul.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 03:32:09 -0500
From: albert jenab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [uuc] photo radar in VA?

Maybe a dumb question, but what does a photo radar unit look like?  Here in
Virginia, they place these big trailer units by the side of the road which
have a sign on them saying "your speed is" and then  big LED display.  I
have always used them as a signal to downshift, floor it, and watch the
numbers climb (works best w/o front plate).  Never got a ticket.

But recently they've put one on GW Parkway south, just beyond Memorial
Bridge around a curve, where they usually have a speed trap.  There have
been some newspaper articles about putting photo radar on the Parkway.
Anyone know if this is a photo unit or not?
- -Al
95 M3

End of [uucdigest] V3 #54