Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:41:07 -0400
From: "Gary Derian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Andre Yew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Re: BMW V8 vs GM V8 (was <e30> speaking of torque)

The BMW V-8 is a fine motor.  I'd buy one in a moment in a BMW and not
change it out.  But If I were building a hot rod in the US, doing it with a
GM motor is cheaper.  Of course there will be complications like getting the
OBC to work.

Cams alone for the M60 are $2500 or so, and tuning the computer is difficult
to impossible.  For $500 one can completely edit the GM computer, run speed
density, alpha-n, or MAF, control all emissions and OBD II features, adjust
misfire sensitivity, knock sensitivity, fuel tank integrity sensing and
more.

$3000 in the Chevy will buy a cam and valve train, plus ported and polished
heads to make the engine deliver 475 to 500 hp.  Plus the Chevy with
pushrods is much lower and narrower than the BMW engine.

Gary Derian