Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 11:24:54 -0400
From: "Mark D'Sylva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Re: Reprogramming DME

> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 13:48:27 -0700
> From: Mark Dadgar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
> Subject: Re: Reprogramming DME
>
> On Jun 13, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Maverick wrote:
> > Slow interface.  The interface that our cars use all seem to be
> > slow.  I have the AutoEnginuity software for OBDII and I know that
> > the bottleneck in the speed for feedback is the interface.  If our
> > cars were that slow thinking we would be in trouble.
>
> It's probably not just the interface.  Writing to serial flash memory
> is pretty slow itself.
>
> - Mark

I think you meant to say  "writing serially to parallel-access flash
memory".

The code is stored in parallel flash, but is updated via a serial link.  I
can update 32 K bytes in an E46 M3 in about 2 minutes, but some other DME's
such as the one in an E36 M3 are much slower.

When the complete DME is re-programmed, it typically takes about 15 to 30
minutes in most BMW's.

I can program 512 K bytes of a SMART car ECU in only 2 or 3 minutes, it has
a really fast interface and some fast FLASH.

Mark D'Sylva
http://www.dsylva-tech.ca
OBD-1 and OBD-II Performance software for BMW's

------------------------------

On Jun 15, 2005, at 8:24 AM, Mark D'Sylva wrote:
>> It's probably not just the interface.  Writing to serial flash memory
>> is pretty slow itself.
>
> I think you meant to say  "writing serially to parallel-access flash
> memory".

I was simplifying.

But at the end of the day, this process is effectively serial
("sequential") in nature.  This would be WAY slower if you were
picking random bits of memory to update, particularly if the data
chunks do not fall on flash sector size boundaries.

> The code is stored in parallel flash, but is updated via a serial
> link.  I
> can update 32 K bytes in an E46 M3 in about 2 minutes, but some
> other DME's
> such as the one in an E36 M3 are much slower.

That is incredibly slow.  The E36 is just slower.

> I can program 512 K bytes of a SMART car ECU in only 2 or 3
> minutes, it has
> a really fast interface and some fast FLASH.

I can fill a 512MB iPod Shuffle in under 5 minutes, but it's got a
similar architecture (ie fast interface, fast flash).

- Mark
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Check out my JustRacing Home Page at: