  Re: <misc> oil in coolant, no coolant in oil

Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 09:52:28 -0400
From: Neil Maller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com" <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Re: <misc> oil in coolant, no coolant in oil

on 10/20/06 9:20 PM, Maverick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I hate to throw the proverbial wrench in the works, but there is a way that a
> bad head gasket can force oil into the coolant.

When my M3 head gasket went bad the first sign was noticeable coolant in the
oil and only a slight oil slick on the surface of the coolant.

> Also, a leak down test can show more than a compression test.  If when you
> pressurize the cylinder you get any bubbles in the coolant or hear air
> escaping through the oil fill, you can get a good sign of a problem.

Unfortunately a head gasket issue on these engines sometimes only shows up
when the engine very hot, such as during track use, and not during
compression/leakdown tests in the garage.

on 10/20/06 9:20 PM, "Kevin Jay (Mr.Fabulous)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> So does collective the wisdom of the list say I'm looking at a head gasket?

Probably, if only because it's a known issue with our engines, and
especially if the car has ever overheated in the past.

Neil
Fort Wayne, IN
96 M3      - Bastard child
03 525iT   - Sterling Grey Metallic