  [E30] half axle replacement
  Re: [E30] half axle replacement

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:07:03 -0500
From: Clarence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: UUC Digest <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: [E30] half axle replacement

'87 325is w/260+k miles needs outer CV joint.  After looking at what
replacement entails and considering the miles, I'm thinking replacing
the whole assembly may be the better route.

Questions:  removal requires removing the axle nut and getting the shaft
out.  Does this require anything special?  Is removing the nut normally
a struggle or will it typically loosen with a standard breaker bar?
Once the nut is off, will the axle typically push out or does it
normally need extra persuasion?

My other higher miler is getting lots of professional care right now and
I'm trying to save a few dollars.

TIA

Clarence
West Bend, Wi