On September 3, 2020 11:59:14 AM PDT, Andreas Mantke <ma...@gmx.de> wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>a short résumé:
>
>a) there are 13 candidates for the MC elections and only 8 are
>able/willing to answer two short questions.
>
>Many thanks to all of this eight candidates to take your time and give
>your personal view!
>

>b) TDF currently has 221 members and none of them asked any question to
>the candidates!
>
>That's something to think long and hard about. What does this mean to
>the democratic culture of the foundation. It was created to get the
>members / contributors a voice and a say.

This is something we have a bit of a problem of in the Arch Linux community as
well when a community member applies to become a Trusted User (i.e. a packager
in the [community] repository). Existing TUs  vet the applicant's package
quality and fitness. Sometimes barely any discussion comes during the two-week
discussion period. I am guilty of letting this slide as well. We have not
really solved the problem past the occasional reminder of our duties. I think
this problem is more generally one of doing thankless, "minor" - yet important
- work in volunteer communities.

I do not pretend to know how to solve this for everyone. Personally, I find
that an occasional reminder of my duties in my occupied post keeps the
easily-forgotton tasks somewhat near the front of my brain.

I would be happy to discuss general topics with all my friends, such as our
opinions of TDF's strengths and weaknesses to encourage a healthy stir of the
pot. But I encourage community members to ask questions or voice their opinion!

Voters possibly already know the candidates well enough that questions don't
add any value to an already-formulated opinion.