Hi all,

Am 22.10.22 um 19:36 schrieb Simon Phipps:
Hi!

On Sat, Oct 22, 2022 at 5:50 PM Andreas Mantke <ma...@gmx.de> wrote:

    If there is only the chance of a _possible_ CoI in front of a
    discussion/decision/process the ones with such a possible CoI has to
    leave the meeting (You could get that really clear from the above
    European Commission document).

All the directors present in the meeting gave useful information
relating to their interests, which everyone present took into account.
They each personally judged that they did not cause an actual or
apparent conflict. There was no indication of any conflict with the
business of the meeting arising from those interests (for example,
Thorsten's "interest" was having published LibreOffice Vanilla on
behalf of the Foundation in the past). The business of the meeting
proceeded and consensus was reached. This is the normal way business
is conducted everywhere.

Taking the position you are describing would lead to
obviously unreasonable outcomes for a community such as ours.  For
example (and to get away from the usual suspects), as the owner of a
successful cloud hosting business that apparently deploys NextCloud
and OwnCloud for clients, using your logic Paolo Vecchi should have
removed himself from any and all conversations about LibreOffice
Online and take no part in any future discussion about them, as he
clearly has a related interest. I am not expecting that; are you?

We are a community-of-interest and we can expect many people to have
interests to declare in our work - and not just arising from
employment. The Board needs to know and understand each director's
interest, and directors need to make realistic and honest decisions
about when they are unable to participate due to an actual conflict.
It is a decision for each individual and we have to trust each other
that is being made.

It is inappropriate and harrassing for people to continually raise the
subject. Accusations of breach of trust (which means alleging either a
failure to disclose an interest or persisting in a decision process in
spite of an unresolved conflict of declared interests) are very
serious and should be the rare exception, not the constantly-repeated
refrain of every meeting as they are now. It really is time for this
to stop - it undermines trust and poisons discussion.

I work in this subject area fairly often and I wrote an informal
article a while ago on the subject that may help; see
https://minkiver.se/~/WebminkInDraft/Trusting-Charity-Directors

it would help much more to read through the document from the European
Commission, which was linked in the mail from Paolo in this thread.

Regards,
Andreas

--
## Free Software Advocate