To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
Hello,

I think the concern is that Mac OS X users have been left alone with
respect to things like file attachment-borne malware.  Many Windows
users now have a basic awareness to avoid clicking on attachments
purporting to be from Microsoft, the help desk, their bank, et cetera.

The question I have is if Mac users have the same type of situational
awareness.  If not, what is going to happen when the first email arrives
purporting to be from Apple and explaining that Apple detected malware
on their computer when they last tried to update so they couldn't patch
them, but here's a copy and the user must agree to it and install it as
root because the malware blocks other ways of installing it, et cetera.

However, the point about this being off-topic is taken.  Perhaps we need
another list to discuss social engineering or user education?

Oh, and it is rabbit season, obviously.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

At 10:00 AM 11/1/2007, you wrote:

>Message: 1
>Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 09:50:05 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Gadi Evron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: Re: [botnets] re MAC trojan
>To: Steven Adair <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Cc: botnets@whitestar.linuxbox.org
>
>On Thu, 1 Nov 2007, Steven Adair wrote:
> >
> > Not sure this is necessariyl true, but that's beside the point as
> I'm sure we could have hundreds of witty replies all day long going
> both ways.  The point is this requires user interaction to infect a
> machine.  I am not seeing the part where unpatched vulnerabilities
> come into play with this.  This is no different than if someone had
> a malicious package sent for download.  It requires the user to
> consent to install something bad.. this isn't a drive-by-exploit
> targeting all macs like MPack for primarily IE & Windows.. not yet
> anyway.  It's a good thing to be on the look out for though,
> however it's not the end of the internets.
>
>It's Mac season?