To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----------
At 8:50 AM -0500 11/3/07, Gadi Evron wrote:
>On Sat, 3 Nov 2007, Tom wrote:
>>To report a botnet PRIVATELY please email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>----------
>>(Sorry on Digest)
>>
>>Hey all give it a break. You want to discuss this/ make a big deal
>>about it then  categorize it as a social engineering issue that
>>occurs against not only any software platform but in most real life
>>scams as well.
>>
>>I know many like to hype any issue against the OSX platform. To a
>>certain degree this may indicate the increased targeting of OSX but
>>it is interesting that the "increased activity" argument never seems
>>to rise when the odd linux or unix social engineering exploit
>>surfaces. Perhaps because none of us really know why an exploit was
>>released or maybe because not a statistic does an isolated one off
>>make?
>>
>>A single instance every now and again does not necessarily indicate a
>>shift in targeting.  Nor does a social engineering exploit attempt
>>make a hype-able attack against OSX.
>
>Talk to you in 2 years.

Gadi,

You missed my point.  I don't doubt that there will be increases in
targeting OSX or any other OS. In fact, I am surprised that there
aren't a slew of cross-os kits out by now as many of the current
server attacks are OS agnostic.

What I was wanted to focus on what that social engineering is not
just an OSX problem. Its a cross environment problem (including both
cyber and real worlds) and more focus should be given to that and its
mitegations.

Tom