Sometimes I just want to open a malicious url in the browser
or wget a file. Then I just c/p the part after hxxp:// and it
works fine. I don't have to manually replace spaces in the url or
run a script over the mails to get the real links. The only
use of obfuscating the urls is to prevent search engines from
picking them up and protect people who click on any link they see.
Sure we could rot13, add spaces or xor/base64 the links, but that
just makes it harder to use them and does not give you more 'protection'.
And without heavy obfuscation the search engines will still pick it
up as text and people searching for info on the host or url will find
the post to the list.
If your mail client converts everything that looks like a hostname
to a http url and you don't want to accidentially click on a link,
use a different client.

nick..

David Harley wrote:
> Well, if it's really a problem, the spaces don't have to be random, but it
> shouldn't be difficult in most scripting languages to strip spaces in a
> string that shouldn't contain any spaces.
>
> --
> David Harley BA CISSP FBCS CITP
> Director of Malware Intelligence
> ESET LLC