--- Jorpho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Okay... If Outlook Express crashes before I finish writing this message, I
> will give up and not bother replying.
>
> > > One might argue that the Vietnamese were not using herbicides so
> > > extensively
> > > at the time, and certainly never asked to have it forced upon them in
> such
> > > quantities.
> >
> > Which Vietnamese would that be?
>
> Were there any Vietnamese who were willing and capable of seeking out such
> advanced agricultural technology?

Sorry, the point was that the southern Vitanamese were more woried about the
north winning. Which they did.

> > What you will learn is that federal chriminal law is a very fragile
> creature.
> > The only reason that our system works is becouse we have seperate bodies
> of
> > governemnt. Legislative making the laws, Executive inforcing the laws,
> and
> > Judicial judging the law in practice. Each of these branches is equaly as
> > powerful. Without such a system federalization of criminal (or other) law
> > would have too many issues to be maintainable. There is a three sided
> system
> > of checks and balances. Sure this makes things move slowly. We may know
> that
> > one thing or another is broken, but we also know that slaping on a
> solution
> > is going to break something else. It is a natural system (if your a
> > proggrammer, spegetti code) and it has to be that way. Why? becouse if it
> > were any other way it would resemble the facism or communism or
> > totalitarianism that failed in the last century.
>
> Can it not be said that a lot of this is ultimately under the control of
> the
> rich?

Yes it can. We are working on that though. The fact is that there are much
fewer rich than there are non rich. So we could vote to change things, but we
don't either out of apathy, or becouse we think these rich guys are mostly
making the best decisions. I'm personaly a fiscal libritarian, social
liberal, and forign policy conservative. So I have mixed feelings on the wole
deal. Also, the "rich" isn't allways the same people, and the "rich" don't
always agree.

Further more, it isn't always the "rich" Many of our leanders started as very
poor people.

> > Another thing is that our government today is not the same government we
> had
> > 20 years ago. It changes. This is sometimes hard for others to
> understand.
> > You may blame the US governement for some small decision made 30 or 40
> years
> > ago, and we will recognize it. It is nothing new. We are constantly
> mutating
> > our governemnt to make it better, it does not supprise us that the
> > governement of the past did something we find distastefull today. But it
> > doesn't bother us either if we have already fixed it. At the same time we
> > know that the gerneral structure is sound becouse things do continue to
> get
> > better.
> <snip>
> > And yes we think our way is better. And we also think that it is obvious.
> We
> > are arogant becouse of what we have done. We are the outsiders, the lost,
> the
> > shuned, the exiled, the escaped, the opressed, the tierd and hungry and
> we
> > have risen to the top.
>
> These two paragraphs seem to be contradictory.

Explain how. I am saying that our way, works, over all things get better. The
system maintains the direction. At the same time, we have problems that arise
(macarthyism etc) which need correction. The strength is that we don't have
to compleatly overthrow our governemnt to fix these things.

We have certain consepts which hold true and our system maintains a flow in
the right direction.

> > Our ancestors were correct when they told your
> > ancestors that their way was better, and now we have prooven that it is
> in
> > fact better. Your ancestors shuned ours and now look what we have
> > acomplished. I'm sure that does piss you off, but you know if you were
> smart
> > it wouldn't. If you were smart you would recognize it for what it is.
> France
> > did for a while. We don't expect every other country to be a carbon copy
> of
> > the US, that would be a shame and it would be boring. But we do expect
> others
> > to recognize when we have made some better decisions, some need to grow
> up
> > and stop acting like children.
> >
> > In my tribe there is a folkeway that allows for a child to take a new
> name
> > when they become an adult. After that, expression they are treated as an
> > adult. Before that expression they are treated as children. I think the
> US
> is
> > waiting for some countries to step up and be adults.
> >
> > This is probably cuase for much anti-americanism. But you know what, we
> as
> > people are use to it. That's why our ancestors left your countries in the
> > first place.
>
> Well, if you're used to it, why are you complaining?  If this is a
> representative attitude of the American people, why are you surprised that
> people in these countries that are "acting like children" are resentful
> towards tourists?

I am not, I simply wanted a better understanding of it. I was also hopeing
that I might find a few wise people to descuss our differences with.

I guess I was also hopeing that some would gain a better understanding of us.
maybe enough not to be so resentfull.

> Maybe the American way is best (I have no idea).  Other countries also have
> their own ways and probably have many people who feel just as strongly that
> their way is best and probably resent it when someone comes along and tells
> them that they're all wrong.

True, hense this discussion. If you have a way that is better then you have
to discuss it and explain it and tell everyone why it is better.

=====