At Stardate 20030626.2044, Jan Coffey wrote:

> Exactly! What you propose for the ICC is representative governance, but you
> don't use that same system for your own country.

What do you mean? We DO use representative governance!!! You are going to have to clarify your point here becouse it looks to me like you are calling white black and black white.

Prime example is that of your presidential elections.

I got the following from http://www.fec.gov/pages/ecworks.htm.

"On the Tuesday following the first Monday of November in years divisible by four, the people in each State cast their ballots for the party slate of Electors representing their choice for president and vice president."

"Whichever party slate wins the most popular votes in the State becomes that State's Electors-so that, in effect, whichever presidential ticket gets the most popular votes in a State wins all the Electors of that State."

The above means that all votes for the other candidates in a state are essentially lost. In a true representative system (as we have in The Netherlands) you would simply tally all the votes (nationwide) for each candidate and declare winner the candidate who got the most votes.

Over here we feel that this is far more democratic and far more resembles representative governance than your electoral college. (And it also costs a lot less time and money, and is a lot more efficient.)

Of course, you could bring this up on That Other List; no doubt JDG will then explain to you that the US doesn't use the democratic principle of representative government because the US isn't a democracy...

Jeroen van Baardwijk