Jan Coffey wrote:

> --- Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > And some degree plans, EE for one, had *no* foreign language
> > requirements, probably because there were so many required courses that
> > if you had to take, say, 13 hours (3 semesters) of a foreign language,
> > there was no *way* you could get out of there in 8 semesters, not even
> > theoretically.  Interestingly enough, the gender ratio in EE was very
> > skewed when I was there (I only knew 2 female EE students, out of
> > probably 30 EE students, and one of them I met because she was the lab
> > partner of one of the guys I'd known for awhile up to that point), and
> > one could argue that the skills needed to be good at EE were *not* the
> > sorts of skills needed for foreign language study, and from what you've
> > written on this thread regarding gender/skills correlations, this
> > wouldn't surprise you very much.
>
> Yea, I tried getting out of foring language at UT. For a year or so, they
> were thinking to move CS back to Egeneering. I remember the day that Dr.
> Fussel told me that wasn't happening. Ruined my schedule as I had to take 3
> symestes of forign language. My wife got out of it by being a forigin
> student. (that never seemed fair). We were both CS. She took all of the more
> information type classes, and I took more theory. We make a good team.

One question:  How well did you do on that course that was taught by the
linguistics professor?  Did you pass the first time around, and if so,
with what kind of a grade?

I ask because I know a couple of people who struggled with some of the
other classes, but passed that one with flying colors, which is contrary
to the pattern of *most* of the CS students there at that time (late
1980s), and I'm a little curious as to which group you fall into.  :)

        Julia