> From: Andrew Crystall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On 23 Oct 2003 at 15:59, The Fool wrote:
>
> > > From: Andrew Crystall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > They can change all they like. As long as it is displayed on the
> > > monitor the program I use can capture it. It ties into the display
> > > drivers, not DirectX, for this very reason.
> >
> > Since When has windows NT/2000/XP allowed direct hardware access?
> > Never.
> >  Display drivers do not access hardware directly.
>
> Uh? Um. Who said anything about hardware? I said drivers. They
> directly acccess the driver API.
>
> And no, the program is probably NOT legal in the US thanks to some of
> your recent laws. So if you're in the US, don't bother asking me for
> it. The creator won't give.

And it's those very same API's you just mentioned that will stop your
driver from capturing video as part of a secure video pipeline (or whater
they're calling it now).  No direct hardware Access.  Encrypted video
channel.  Eventually they plan to have the hardware makers encrypt the
signal on the cable between the video card and the monitor.  It'll work
in the same way the 'secure audio channel' works.