>--- Kevin Tarr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >This sounds like one of the stupidest things I've ever
>> >heard, and one of my CO collegues with 20 years in
>> >speech therapy/special education commented (when I
>> >asked if this was true): "It is not only true, it is
>> >actually worse than this.  Students who are in a
>> >persistant vegetative state have been required to take
>> >the test from time to time, students who do not yet
>> >speak English, students with severe emotional
>> >disorders, physical problems, etc.  It is
>> >absolutely absurd."

I might have missed the post that started this, but will
try and pitch in on some of this.  I know of some
individuals who are regularly assessed for their
status/learning ability.  Most of these people are
institutionalized and often were assumed to lack
intellectual ability since traditional test methods
did not meet their needs (ie if someone had
spastic hands and could not control a pencil
they could not take conventional IQ tests and
were labeled as severely retarded when in
reality less "standardized" testing revealed
functioning intellect).  As new test methods are
understood they are better utilized.  I have seen
some "assistive technology" used to help test
"students" (under 21), but this was part of specialized
IEP (individual education plan, IIRC).

Early in the move for "end of grade" testing, many
"special needs" students were exempted from testing
by the schools (to raise apparent test scores) and
improve financial rewards to the schools.  This led the
pendulum to swing the "other way" where all students
must be tested so schools don't label kids to artificially
cull results.  This situation would be my guess why
some bizarre test situations might exist.  Some
group has good intentions in "leveling the playing
field", but there are ludicrous applications.

Dee